Get Off Your A**
Health app and watch design
Everyone needs to workout and get off the couch. Studies show that people reduce the risks of heart disease when implementing a daily, effective workout. Working out also increases strength and flexibility. While exercising, there are numbers or data associated with working out.
Users don't know any metrics or statistics regarding their workout when working out alone. How might I get users to exercise via an app and smart watch? By providing an app that syncs to a smart watch, users would be able to watch videos, see their data, and continue using both devices.
I wanted to design an app called Get Off Your A**, where users watch exercise videos on their phone or watch, that would inspire and engage them to work out. Their smart watch would sync up with the app showing data on the daily progress they made along with a monthly tracker.
My Role and Timeline
UX Designer and Freelancer: App- 2 weeks, watch- 1 week
I interviewed 6 users to find out what type of exercise they do, how they learned new exercise, and what is the motivation to exercise. I took those findings and synthesized the results.
- 100% of users wanted to learn new exercise.
- 83% of users learned new exercise through Youtube tutorials.
- 83% users usually exercise for 30 minutes.
- 83% users want the app to be quick and easy.
I designed my wireframes in Balsamiq. I will focus on the Homepage, My Profile, Exercise, Favorites, Notifications, and Settings.
User Testing #1
I interviewed 4 users on the wireframes. I wanted to know how they felt about the flow of the app and access of the Youtube videos. I also learned about their needs regarding data analysis on their monthly progress.
- 100% of users wanted a tracking feature that showed heart rate, step, and calories burned.
- 100% of users said it was simple, easy to use, and made sense.
- 100% of users said they could access the Youtube tutorials quickly.
Medium Fidelity Wireframes and User Testing #2
I moved on to medium fidelity wireframes and did more user testing. I also started to design data tables associated with the results so users could track their progress.
- Make call to action buttons more prominent.
- Finalize profile section with features of the app or watch.
- Ability to move favorites around for custom workout.
- Change settings to menu icon.
- Provide a data tracker.
- Remove music section.
Part 2- Apple Watch Design
- Add images to exercise tables.
- Elaborate on the food and drink search options.
- Research recording feature.
- Research game function and create avatar.